The time is drawing near for the 5th annual Musica Sacra Florida Gregorian Chant Conference. This year’s conference promises to be wonderful and features Msgr. Andrew Wadsworth (ICEL), Mass with Bishop Dewane, scholae for singers of all levels, Masses in both the ordinary and extraordinary form of the Roman rite, and fantastic workshops from the fabulous faculty line-up.
Conference dates: Friday, Feb. 15th – Saturday, Feb. 16th
The registration deadline is Friday, Feb. 1st.
Why not take a break from winter at the beginning of Lent to have a retreat studying chant in sunny Florida?
Details follow below and at the conference website.
Musica Sacra Florida – 5th Annual Gregorian Chant Conference
Sponsored by the Florida Chapter of the Church Music Association of America
in conjunction with Ave Maria University
Friday, February 15th– Saturday, February 16th
Ave Maria University, Ave Maria Florida
The Conference Will Include
– Singing Gregorian Chant in English
– Incorporating Gregorian Chant into Parish Life
– Instruction for Priests and Deacons in Chanting the Mass in the New English Translation
– Church Documents & Sacred Music in the 20th and 21st Century
Choice of scholae for:
– Beginning/intermediate (men & women),
– Upper-level men,& upper-level women
Solemn High Mass in the Extraordinary Form on Friday evening with music provided by the AMU Music Department
Closing English sung Mass in the Ordinary Form on Saturday evening, celebrated by Most Rev. Frank Dewane, Bishop of the Diocese of Venice in Florida, with music provided by conference participants.
Registration fees are $60.00 (including materials and instruction), $15.00 for students with ID
Overnight accommodations will be available at AMU’s Xavier Conference Center.
Participants can choose among various options for room and board.
For prices and options, click on “Brochure and tentative schedule” at the conference website.
Registration deadline: Friday, February 1st, 2013
For more information on the conference, contact Susan Treacy, Ph.D., at: email@example.com | (239) 280-1668 | www.musicasacra.com/florida
– Keynote Speaker: Monsignor Andrew Wadsworth, Executive Director of ICEL (International Commission on English in the Liturgy)
– Mary Jane Ballou – Cantorae Saint Augustine
– Jennifer Donelson, D.M.A. – Nova Southeastern University
– Jeffrey Herbert, M.Mus. – Music Director, Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Church, Sarasota
– Timothy McDonnell, D.M.A. – Ave Maria University
– Edward Schaefer, D.M.A. – University of Florida
– Susan Treacy, Ph,D. – Ave Maria University
This two-day workshop will present beginning, intermediate, and advanced musicians with rehearsals and lectures that will enrich their knowledge of Gregorian chant and its use in the Roman Catholic liturgy.
Led by a faculty of chant specialists from around the state, attendees will learn more about the history of Gregorian chant and its role in the liturgy, as well as experience the chant in the context of both the Divine Office and the Mass. Beginning chanters will be introduced to the basics of notation and rhythm according to the classic Solesmes method.
Experienced chanters will learn new repertoire and advance their understanding of rhythmic and interpretive nuance. Resources and practical methods for the cultivation of Gregorian chant in the life of the parish will also be discussed, especially in light of the new missal. This year there will once again be a special emphasis on Gregorian chant in English, along with Latin chant.
This workshop is ideal for choir members, parish music directors, music students, teachers, parents, seminarians, priests, deacons, and anyone who is interested in learning about the heritage of sacred music within the Roman Catholic Church.