In honor of Corpus Christi, I thought I would offer this basic explainer video on some of the doctrinal content of the Adoro Te devote.
1. With devotion I adore You, O God concealed;
Hidden under figures here, yet by faith revealed.
Even prayer is silent now. All my heart bows low.
Deepest truth is present here, more than minds can know.
2. Seeing, touching, tasting You–senses can deceive.
Hearing is the path of faith. This shall I believe.
Jesus said it; I believe. True His words must be:
God the Son, the Word of truth, must speak truthfully.
3. On the cross You only hid Your divinity.
Here You also have concealed Your humanity.
Yet I still believe in both, and this faith I say,
And the prayer the good thief prayed, this I also pray.
4. Thomas saw Your wounded hands and your wounded side.
Even though I do not see, I am satisfied.
Jesus Christ, my Lord, my God, gladly I adore.
Make me trust you, hope in you, love you more and more.
5. O memorial of the death of my living Lord,
Living Bread whose saving health human life restored.
Let me find my life in You, ever-living food.
Let me ever taste of You, knowing You are good.
6. Pelican, so full of love, Jesus, gracious Lord,
Wash me, cleanse me of my sins in Your blood outpoured.
All the sins in all the world that have ever been–
Just one drop is blood enough: all may be made clean.
7. Jesus, hidden from my eyes, bring me to that place
Where your saints in endless joy see you face to face.
How I long to gaze on you through eternity.
Blest are they who trust in you, and your glory see. Amen.
Translation c. Kathleen Pluth